Toque it Up Recipe-Seared Scallops
- 3 each dry packed scallops
- 6 oz. Anson Mills farro piccolo
- 3 oz. country ham ( ¼” dice)
- 6 oz. fresh mustard greens
- 4 oz. chicken stock
- 1 tsp. shallots (minced)
- 1 tsp. garlic (minced)
- 4 oz. butter (unsalted)
- 2 oz. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. green tomato relish (recipe follows)
- 2 oz. citrus-sorghum reduction (recipe follows)
- Green Relish Ingredients
- 1 qt. green tomato (diced)
- 1 cp. poblano pepper (1/4” dice)
- 1cp. yellow onion (1/4” dice)
- ½ cp. roasted red pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. yellow mustard seed
- 1 tbsp. celery seed
- 2 cp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cp. sugar
- 1 ¼ tbsp. kosher salt
In a sauté pan heat 1 oz. oil over medium heat until almost smoking, carefully add scallops to the pan, flat side down. Let the scallops caramelize without moving them. (about 3 minutes) Flip scallops and remove from heat. Rest scallops in the pan.
For farro, country ham & mustard greens:
In a sauté pan heat 1 oz. oil over medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer add country ham. Cook country ham until crisp, stirring often. Add mustard greens and shallots. Sauté 1 minute. Add stock and garlic. Let stock reduce and add 2 oz. butter. Stir to combine.
Green Relish Instructions
Gather all ingredients. Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
Combine 2 cups orange juice and 1 cup sorghum in a small sauce pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until a syrup consistency is reached. Remove from heat and cool completely.